Totally not the tacos we think of with Mexican food. These babies were made in an effort to throw something together from the fridge without having to go grocery shopping. The seasoning really gives the meat a taco flavor without all of the additives of those seasoning packs. Vaughan scarfed them down and I had to take a quick pic with my camera phone before they were gone! They may not be pretty, but definitely I nice change for Paleo meals. You can use romaine or any other big leaf lettuce, but a crisper, thicker lettuce gives them a nice crunch.
The Good Stuff:
- Romaine Lettuce
- 1 – 2 lbs ground beef (grass fed of course)
- 1 green pepper
- 1 red pepper
- 1 bunch mushrooms
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
The How To:
- Combine all seasonings and set aside.
- Saute beef until cooked through. In another pan saute or steam peppers.
- Once beef is cooked add seasoning. Add all seasoning if using 2 pounds ground beef, and half for 1 pound. Stir well, then add mushrooms and broth (1 cup for 2 lbs beef, 1/2 cup for 1 lb)
- Simmer for about 10 minutes until broth is simmered down and mushrooms cooked through.
- Layer meat and peppers onto romaine lettuce leaves and chow down!