I’ve fallen in love recently with dates. Since we have given up processed sweets and can only get our “sugar fix” from fruits, dates have become a real treat. I don’t eat them regularly because they are super sweet but I do love cooking with them from time to time. Dates are high in potassium but also high in sugar. This recipe is great for the holidays when you want to indulge in sweet treats without the the processed ingredients.
THE IMPORTANT STUFF:
- 1 cup dates, pitted
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- (additional unsweetened dark cocoa powder to roll truffles in)
- Make sure all of your dates are pitted by cutting a slice in the date and pulling out the pits.
- Place all of the ingredients (except the additional cocoa powder) in a food processor.
- Process until finely ground.
- Place a small amount of cocoa powder in a shallow bowl.
- Roll mixture into small balls, the size of your preference. I like to roll them into marble sized balls.
- Drop 3 or 4 balls in the bowl with cocoa powder and roll around until coated.
- Store dates chilled until ready to serve.
OPTIONS: Instead of rolling your truffles in cocoa powder, you can also use toasted almonds or unsweetened coconut!