In a desperate need to find something different for breakfast and only use what is in my fridge, I came up with Kale Sloppy Joes. Ya, you read that right… for breakfast! In our family this is one meal we do not skip. Mostly because the first words that usually come out of my mouth when I first wake up are, “I’m hungry!” I can’t seem to make it through the morning without eating first. And since, dairy and processed foods aren’t an option, we are very limited in what’s available for breakfast. In fact, that is one of the complaints from most Paleo followers. After a while you get tired of bacon and eggs with a side of avocado. One of the things I have been very intentional about is finding a way to better incorporate veggies into our first meal of the day. Unfortunately more times then not I’ll look down at my morning plate to notice only protein and fat are being represented. I finally threw everything I know about this meal out the window and began venturing into other areas. Who says you can’t have Chicken for breakfast? A whole chicken!
I am becoming a pro at figuring out meals based on what’s left in my fridge and this has definitely become one of my favorites. Kale makes a regular appearance at our house and will continue to do so until it is out of season. We typically get a fresh bunch of it in our basket from the farmer’s market every week (hopefully it will be in there today). And I don’t even need to talk about all of the health benefits this green provides. Also, bison is one of our favorite red meats. It has a unique flavor and cooks well with anything.
This recipe made 4 servings for us. Skip the bun and serve with a fried egg over the top for breakfast and you will be happy you did. Enjoy!
The Good Stuff:
- 1 pound of bison (of course you can use regular ground beef, just make sure you get grass fed)
- 1 bunch kale
- Olive Oil
- 1/2 large onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 small can organic tomato paste (I’m not a huge fan of canned goods but in this case it beats making my own paste)
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
The How To:
- Wash the kale. Remove and discard stems and chop up leafs into about 1″ pieces.
- Saute the ground bison until brown and set aside in another bowl. Lightly salt it as it is sautéing.
- Heat up a little bit of olive oil in the pan over medium heat. Dice the onion and mince the garlic and add to the pan. Saute until almost transparent.
- Add in Kale and saute until tender (about 5-7 minutes).
- In another bowl mix together broth, paste, chili powder, mustard and vinegar. Once the kale is tender, pour in liquid mixture.
- Simmer for 10 minutes then add bison and simmer for about another 10 minutes until the liquid is reduced and becomes saucy.
- Take off heat and serve.
- If you love fried eggs, serve an over easy fried egg on top.