YEA CHRISTMAS TIME!!!! Especially in Florida where the weather is gorgeous every day! Nothing says Christmas more that Gingerbread Men. And this is the first time I have tried Paleo’ish’ gingerbread cookies. I say “ish” because there is a bit of sugar in them from the Maple Syrup and Molasses. They are yummy but a little tricky with the cookie cutter aspect. Because they are made with almond flour instead of regular flour, they tend to be a little sticky. By simply keeping your finger tips somewhat damp and continually cleaning the cookie cutter, it will be easier to separate the cookies from the cookie cutter.
One of the best ways for me to keep from overindulging during the holidays is to have realistic expectations of myself and realize that there is no way I am going to eat well all through the holidays. So I give myself options that are a little indulgent but still in line with my new healthy self. This is one of my indulgent treats. This way I don’t feel deprived and still get to partake in Christmas goodies.
The Good Stuff:
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons coconut butter or cream
- 1 tablespoon coconut milk
- 3 cups almond flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger (less if you prefer them not to be too gingery)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
The How To:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a sauce pan, bring molasses to a boil then add maple syrup, palm shortening, and coconut milk.
- Stir ingredients until combined, then remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, combine all dry ingredients.
- Pour dry ingredients into wet, and mix well.
- Roll out dough between two sheets of parchment paper, until about 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut batter with cookie cutters. Regularly clean the cookie cutters to keep the batter from sticking.
- Bake for 10 minutes on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Let cool, decorate as desired, and enjoy.