One of our quick go to meals is the rotisserie chicken from the local grocery store. By Saturday after crossfit we are starving, have NOTHING at home, and are too stinky to go anywhere to eat but don’t want to wait to shower before we find something to gnaw on. So we will more times than not, head to Costco or the local grocery store for the rotisserie chicken. And you can probably guess the rest of the scene… Just barely make it into the house before the top is popped off and I’m gnawing on a thigh and Vaughan is going for the breast… of the chicken! Get your head out of the gutter.
We have yet to finish off the entire rotisserie which leaves us with a chunk of meat that I’ll throw in the fridge to typically make chicken salad out of the next day. I’m not a fan of leftover cold chicken so I am always looking for a way to dress it up. I also love the leftovers for breakfast the next day. Who says breakfast has to always be bacon and eggs. The following is my favorite chicken salad recipe. I put it over some avocado and spinach and we have a healthy balanced meal.
THE GOOD STUFF
- Any leftover chicken. I usually have about a pound of it leftover.
- 1/4 cup of Vinegar (I prefer white wine vinegar or white balsamic vinegar)
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil (plus a little more for sautéing)
- 1 Tablespoon Capers
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- 1/4 cup Onions, diced
- 1 clove Garlic, chopped
- 2 fistfuls of Spinach
- 1 avocado
THE HOW TO
- In a bowl mix vinegar, 3 tablespoons olive oil, capers and mustard.
- Dice up you chicken into small pieces.
- Pull out two plates and place a handful of spinach on each plate.
- Cut an avocado in half. Remove pit and skin and lay (skin side down) on the spinach. One half per plate.
- Heat some olive oil or ghee in a pan and saute onions and garlic until soft.
- Add chicken and saute until hot.
- Pour in vinegar mixture and stir into chicken until warm, about 30 seconds.
- Scoop chicken salad onto the avocados and serve.
With this recipe I usually have a little chicken salad leftover. It typically becomes a snack for Vaughan later in the day. Hope you enjoy.