Every once in a while when Vaughan goes shopping he comes home with some random food we usually don’t cook. This week it was large portabella mushrooms. Some of them I grilled and the others I decided to make breakfast out of.
Store mushrooms in a paper bag inside a fridge. Never store in plastic as plastic encourages mold. Also, never wash mushrooms until ready to use.
The Good Stuff:
- 1 portabella mushroom
- 2 teaspoons ghee or coconut oil (coconut oil will change the flavor profile some)
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 – 1/3 cup sweet potato, grated
- Seasoning (I use basil, parsley, oregano, salt, and pepper)
- 1 egg
The How To:
- Heat ghee in pan over medium heat. Saute onion and sweet potato until just tender.
- Heat oven to 300 degrees.
- Scrape the gills out of the mushroom. Remove stem.
- Spread some ghee on the top of the mushroom and place top side down on a baking sheet.
- Fill mushroom with sweet cooked sweet potato then season.
- Place a crater in the middle of the sweet potato and carefully crack an egg in the center.
- Bake for 18 – 20 minutes, until done.