I love to bake! And I love to try new recipes… especially Paleo muffins. Unfortunately I have been struggling to find the perfect muffin. They tend to be too dry, contain too much sugar or just simply don’t taste all that great. As awesome as it may seem to be Vaughan, constantly trying my new baked goods, he actually has a tough task because I have had just as many failed baking attempts as I have had good ones. Fortunately, he struggles through the tastings and provides me with very honest feedback. So when I saw his face light up after trying these bad boys, I new they were a keeper.
I LOVE LOVE LOVE anything pumpkin. It reminds of fall which is the time of year that I really indulge in pumpkin goodness. But these muffins are too good to be saved only for fall time. Pumpkin is incredibly rich in antioxidants and vitamins. Be mindful that these contain a bit of coconut, a good fat. They will keep you satiated through the morning.
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 6 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
THE HOW TO
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a muffin pan OR line with paper liners OR just use silicone liners
- Sift together coconut flour and spices together.
- Whisk remaining ingredients together (except walnuts) in a separate bowl until well mixed.
- Stir the flour mixture gradually into the pumpkin mixture so that no lumps remain.
- Divide batter between 10 to 12 muffin cups.
- Sprinkle with walnuts and slightly press the walnuts into the tops of the muffins.
- Bake for 12 to 17 minutes. (This will vary based on your oven and how full you fill our cups)
- Do not overbake. Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick in the center of a muffin and pull out when it comes out clean.
NOTE: I also like to substitute 1 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice for the cloves, nutmeg and allspice. It gives them a little more flavor.