This is probably one of the mostest favoritest holidays of a Paleocian! (Ya, I make up words). Especially for Vaughan and myself. When Cinco De Mayo rolls around we will grab our mustaches, jump on our bikes and peddle over to our favorite Mexican joint, Rocco’s Tacos. The great thing about all of these cultural holidays (Cinco De Mayo, St Patty’s Day, Japanese New Year, Canada Day) is that you can celebrate them no matter what ethnicity you are… Trust me, we are always looking for a day to celebrate, like Canada Day, eh!
Back to Cinco De Mayo… so I thought I would post a top 10 list of how to celebrate Cinco De Mayo in true Paleo Style! But before we begin, let’s clear up one common misunderstanding… Cinco De Mayo IS NOT Mexican Independence day! The date is observed to commemorate the Mexican’s army’s unlikely victory over French forces at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862 – via wikipedia. Not all of Mexico celebrates Cinco De Mayo, but all of the U.S sure does! Now, on to my list.
1) TEQUILA! It’s not a proper Paleo party without tequila! Order one or make yourself a margarita. Make it a skinny one, and if it is too tart, simply ask for the OJ. But do as I do and ask if they add ANY sweetener, cause many times the bartenders think that a skinny margarita still includes Agave.
- 1.5 – 2 ounces tequila (my personal favorite is Hussong)
- Juice from 1 to 2 limes (for me the tarter the better)
- Splash or 2 of club soda
- Juice from a wedge of an orange
2) MUSTACHES! Play up the holiday by looking the part. These are great for laughs and can be found at most novelty stores or even amazon. If you order them soon, you will get them in time for the festivities.
3) GUACAMOLE! Avocados are full of healthy nutrients and the essential fat your body and brain needs to function properly. Guacamole is a great addition to any meal or party. The best part of guac is that it’s ALWAYS Paleo… Unless some weirdo out there adds cheese to it. Here’s my recipe:
- 2 avocados
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1/8 cup finely diced onion
- 1/2 jalapeno
- Dash of salt
- Shake or two of paprika
4) “CHIPS”! Skip the tortilla chips and go for some veggies to dip. Slice up carrots, peppers, jicama or any other crunchy veggie you can get your hands on. And if you are going out to eat, see if the kitchen would be willing to bring some carrots or celery to your table to accompany the guac. But beware, if it is busy, they are likely to say no.
5) MEAT! Come on now… It seems so obvious that it’s ridiculous that I have to even state it. Not only is meat an important part of the Paleo Diet, it is an important part of Mexican food… Barbacoa, Cabeza, Carne Asada, Lengua, Machaca, Picadillo, Sesos, Tripas, Al Pastor, Carnitas, Chicharrones, Pollo, Chapulines, Escamoles… Ok I’ll quit now.
6) MUSIC! There’s only one song that comes to mind… Just channel your inner Pee-Wee Herman. Vaughan pretty much embodied this on his birthday last year.
7) PALEO PIÑTA! Candy… nope… But how abouts some beef jerky and nuts. Ok, so that doesn’t even sound appetizing to me. But at least you can beat the crap out of something for fun, so a pinata is a must have!
8) YOUR FAVORITE MEXICAN BAR/RESTAURANT! So I understand that not everyone likes to fight the crazy crowds on this festive holiday, but lets be honest… It’s not Cinco De Mayo unless you go to a Mexican joint on this day, at least for lunch.
9) PARTY! Whether you stay home or go out, you have to make it a real celebration. Celebrating Cinco De Mayo by having lunch at a Mexican restaurant with a margarita IS NOT CELEBRATING! This is a holiday that screams craziness. So find the loudest AREBA! AREBA! and join those people or throw a party of your own. Here are some yummy paleo recipes from some of my favorite blogs that are sure to make for an amazing Mexican Fiesta:
- Chile Rellenos
- Crockpot Jalapeno Roast
- Mexican Cauliflower Rice
- Carne Asada
- Enchilada Chicken Stew
- Mexican Chocolate Ice Cream
10) CROSSFIT BUDDIES! We can’t forget our crossfit buddies. Especially when booze, free spirits and great festivities are happening. Besides, who else is going to do drunken hand stand pushups with you in public?